On 6 December 2017, the Senate moved that the following matters be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 20 September 2018:
The need for regulation of mobility scooters, also known as motorised wheelchairs, including:
- the number of deaths and injuries attributed to accidents involving mobility scooters in Australia since their introduction;
- the causes of these accidents;
- any current regulations governing the use of mobility scooters throughout Australia;
- comparison of Australian regulations with international standards;
- what support structures are in place to ensure the safe operation of mobility scooters;
- the regulatory role of government and non-government bodies; and
- any related matter
It has come to the Committee’s attention that some clarity is required regarding the inquiry’s Terms of Reference.
The Committee acknowledges that in some states and territories, motorised mobility scooters and motorised wheelchairs are two different vehicles. In order to avoid confusion, the Committee will take evidence in relation to both types of vehicles. They will be treated separately for the purpose of the inquiry.
Committee Secretariat contact:
Submissions should be received by 13 March 2018.
Senate Standing Committees on Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport
PO Box 6100
Canberra ACT 2600
Phone: +61 2 6277 3511
Fax: +61 2 6277 5811
originally publish by: https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Rural_and_Regional_Affairs_and_Transport/MobilityScooters